Last updated: June 3, 2016
As used in this policy, the terms "using" and "processing" information include using cookies on a computer, subjecting the information to statistical or other analysis and using or handling information in any way, including, but not limited to collecting, storing, evaluating, modifying, deleting, using, combining, disclosing and transferring information within our organization or among our affiliates within the United States or internationally.
Information Collection and Use: Personally Identifiable Information
- In the course of using the App and Services, you may provide us with personally identifiable information, which refers to information about you that can be used to contact or identify you ("Personal Information"). Personal Information includes, but is not limited to, your name, phone number, credit card or other billing information, email address, phone number and postal address. We use your Personal Information primarily to provide and improve the App and Services and to respond to your inquiries.
- We may also request that you provide certain information, such as your postal code and personal preferences, which is typically considered "Non-Identifying Information" because it cannot, by itself, be used to contact or identify you.
- We use your Personal Information (in some cases, in conjunction with your Non-Identifying Information) primarily to provide and improve the Services, to complete your transactions and respond to your inquiries.
- Certain Non-Identifying Information would be considered a part of your Personal Information if it were combined with other identifiers (for example, combining your postal code with your street address) in a way that enables you to be identified. But, the same items of information are considered Non-Identifying Information when they are taken alone or combined only with other non-Identifying information (for example, your age). We may combine your Personal Information with Non-Identifying Information and aggregate it with information collected from other ARTO users to attempt to provide you with a better experience, to improve the quality and value of the App and Services and to analyze and understand how our App and Services are used.
- We also use your Personal Information to contact you with ARTO newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications or via the "Account" section of the App. (See "Changing or Deleting Information," below.)
Log data. When you use the App (including visiting the ARTO website) and Services, whether as a Member or a non-registered user just browsing (any of these, a "ARTO User"), our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website ("Log Data"). This Log Data may include information such as your computer's Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser type or the webpage you were visiting before you came to our App or website, pages of our App that you visit, the time spent on those pages, information you search for on our App, access times and dates, ads you click on during your use of the App, your viewing preferences, bookmark habits and other statistics. We use this information to monitor and analyze use of the App and for the App's technical administration, to increase our App's functionality and user-friendliness and to better tailor the App to our visitors' needs. For example, some of this information is collected so that when you visit the App again, it will recognize you and serve advertisements and other information appropriate to your interests. We also use this information to verify that visitors to the App meet the criteria required to process their requests.
We also use "web beacons," "pixel tags," "clear GIFs" or similar means (individually or collectively "Web Beacons") on our App. A Web Beacon is an electronic image, often a single pixel, embedded on web pages. Web Beacons are ordinarily not visible to users. Web Beacons allow us to count the number of users who have visited certain pages of the App, to deliver branded services and to generate statistics about how our App is used.
Making Purchases and Listing Works via the App
If you purchase a work or other item or list a work for sale via the App, we request certain Personal Information from you. You must provide contact information such as first and last name, address, city, postal code, email and phone number and financial information such as credit card type, credit card number, expiration date and CVV2. We use this information for billing and remittance purposes, to list works for sale on the App and to fulfill your orders, as applicable. If we have trouble processing an order or listing a work for sale, we will use this information to contact you. If you list a work for sale via the App, we may require you to provide a copy of a government issued photo identification. When you place an order or list a work for sale via the App, ARTO will also send you informational emails regarding such orders and sales.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
ARTO Members. When you register for the App and create an Account, your Personal Information (including, but not limited to, your name) will be publicly viewable via the App. We recommend that you guard your sensitive information and we encourage you to think carefully about what information you post via the App. If you choose to purchase Artworks via the App and Services, we will share your name and postal address with the Member who listed the work for sale on the App to enable that Member to ship the purchased work directly to you.
Aggregate Information and Non-Identifying Information. We may share aggregated information that does not include Personal Information and we may otherwise disclose Non-Identifying Information and Log Data with third parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling and other purposes. Any aggregated information shared in these contexts will not contain your Personal Information.
Service Providers. We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our Services, to provide our Services on our behalf, to perform App-related services (e.g., without limitation, payment processing, billing and shipping services, maintenance services, database management, web analytics and improvement of the App's features) or to assist us in analyzing how our App and Services are used. These third parties have access to your Personal Information only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement. ARTO will cooperate with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of ARTO or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, any illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
Business Transfers. ARTO may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of its assets, including your Personal Information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets or in the event of bankruptcy.
Changing or Deleting Your Information
To completely delete all Personal Information you provide to ARTO, you must contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you completely delete all such information, your account may be deactivated. We may retain an archived copy of your records as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.
Your information may be transferred to - and maintained on - computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction.
Identity theft and the practice currently known as "phishing" are of great concern to ARTO. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is a top priority. We do not and will not, at any time, request your credit card information, username, login password or national identification numbers in a non-secure or unsolicited e-mail or telephone communication. For more information about phishing, we suggest you visit the U.S. Federal Trade Commission's website.
Links to Other Apps
Our App may contain links to other apps and websites. If you choose to visit an advertiser by "clicking on" a banner ad or other type of advertisement, or click on another third party link, you will be directed to that third party's website. The fact that we link to a website or present a banner ad or other type of advertisement is not an endorsement, authorization or representation of our affiliation with that third party, nor is it an endorsement of their privacy or information security policies or practices. We do not exercise control over third party websites. These other websites may place their own cookies or other files on your computer, collect data or solicit personal information from you. Other sites follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the personal information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of the other websites you visit.